Let’s get started with the five unique Signs to identify whether the fish is stale or fresh.
How do you know that it’s a Freshly caught fish?
Raw fish has a shorter shelf life, and there are ways one can know whether the fish is fresh or you can increase stake and the shelf life of the frozen fish effortlessly. But you cannot keep it for longer; its quality continuously diminishes depending upon how long you keep it frozen. If you are a fish lover, the best taste and flavours come from the freshest fish, but you need to keep it in mind the fish has a concise shelf life, and we recommend consuming it in 1-3 days once stored in a deep freezer. Therefore it is one of the most concerning issues related to the fishes. We want to share an example of one of the enormous eaters of fish globally, Japan. The people of Japan are highly fond of eating fish, and you can say it’s a staple for them and judge the freshness of the fish in a blink of an eye. Therefore, to meet the freshness levels, the fisherman has created a vast tank in their ships and imitated it as a small sea with a small shark to keep the fishes active, and because of this, fresh fishes reach the market people consume fresh fish in Japan.
We all are aware that we should always eat fresh food, and the same goes with the fish and the fresh food will always taste better, and it goes the same for fishes. We can help you know the fish is fresh or stale with the help of the five signs, and we are going to share these five signs with you today in the article and these signs are to know whether you are buying fresh fish or not. Let’s get started and understand these signs together and become the best fresh fish buyer.
5 Signs to identify if fish Is fresh
1) The first sign is the scale of the fish, and the scales of a Raw Fresh Fish would be metallic, shinier, and brighter, and the scales of the stale fish would be dull and broke, and the fish would be skinny and appears old to you. Therefore one should always keep in mind the appearance of the fish while buying it.
2) The best sign to know whether the fish is fresh or stale is from the eyes of the fishes, and the eyes of the fresh fish would be full, bright, and shiny, bulging out with the black pupils and whereas stale fish would have sunken eyes and pupils would be appearing milky or cloudy, and it’s not jet black.
3) After the fish’s appearance, the next sign is the texture of the fish how it feels when you touch the fish. When you touch a fresh fish its feels firm stretchy, and the flesh is stuck to the bone, and it’s hard to pull out, and blood appears to be red under the tissue. Fish has an excellent quality after its dead; the bacteria in it will slow down the degradation of the flesh’s quality. Whereas a stale fish becomes soft and comes out of the bone easily, it’s not stretchy anymore, and the blood appears brown going towards black.
4) Gills are the essential organ of a fish, which helps them breathe and provides them oxygen under the water, and even when the fish is dead, the respiratory organ plays a vital role in keeping the fish moist. If the fish still have gills, that means it is fresh, and if they are red, that would indicate that the fish is the freshest. The gills should be clean and odourless, and if it has an odour and the colour appears to be brown, that means the fish is stale.
5) Generally, fish should smell fresh and mildly briny
Lastly, look at the smell of the fish. The fresh fish’s odour would feel like freshwater, whereas the stale fish’s smell is unpleasant and would be different and would be noticeable.